Monday, July 4, 2011

The night on the island (La noche en la isla) Pablo Neruda

All night I have slept with you

next to the sea, on the island.

Wild and sweet you were between pleasure and sleep,

...between fire and water.

Perhaps very late

our dreams joined

at the top or at the bottom,

Up above like branches moved by a common wind,

down below like red roots that touch.

Perhaps your dream

drifted from mine

and through the dark sea

was seeking me

as before,

when you did not yet exist,

when without sighting you

I sailed by your side,

and your eyes sought

what now--

bread, wine, love, and anger--

I heap upon you

because you are the cup

that was waiting for the gifts of my life.

I have slept with you

all night long while

the dark earth spins

with the living and the dead,

and on waking suddenly

in the midst of the shadow

my arm encircled your waist.

Neither night nor sleep

could separate us.

I have slept with you

and on waking, your mouth,

come from your dream,

gave me the taste of earth,

of sea water, of seaweed,

of the depths of your life,

and I received your kiss

moistened by the dawn

as if it came to me

from the sea that surrounds us.

{Pablo Neruda}

No comments:

Post a Comment